It's 3:00 AM and I'm awake. Why, you ask? Well, because I love my son. I found out today that Chad is being teased at school. It totally and absolutely breaks my heart. First, just the fact that he told me tells me that it's a big deal. He does NOT show vulnerability...ever. I spoke with his teacher, the teaser's teacher, AND the counselor about this a little over a week ago. I casually asked Chad today how things were going and apparently this kid is still torturing him. Now, I am not here saying that Chad is an angel and could never do the same to someone else. I am well aware of Chad's capabilities, but I have never heard of him teasing another child (aside from Carter) and if I ever did I would certainly do everything within my power to put a stop to it. Which is why I have formally requested a meeting with the school counselor and this child's mother. Now, I realize that teasing happens. Nobody is immune to it. However, Chad isn't just anyone. He's MY child. LOL And if I can go through the channels to make sure everyone that needs to know about it DOES know about it, then I will. This kid is doing some very specific things that need to be addressed. As far as I'm concerned, Chad has shown great restraint by not decking him in the nose. At this point, I don't think I'd punish him if he did. ;) Not that I'm condoning violence, but the only way to stop a bully is to put him in his place. Anyway, I digress...
The counselor has been extremely understanding, so I feel confident that she will set this meeting up for me, hopefully on Tuesday. I also copied the email to the 2 teachers involved, the principal, and the vice principal. I want a paper trail and documentation that steps have been taken to put an end to it. Chad had problems with this child last year, so I expect it will not end here. *sigh* Why do kids have to be so cruel to one another? As a mother my number 1 job is to protect my children. This is an area where I can't protect him. Sure, I can call meetings. I can advocate for him all I want. But hasn't the damage already been done? This will not be the last time he will be teased. I'm sure of that. But each time it happens, how much of his sense of self does it whittle away? Can he just blow it off, or does it hurt him at his core? Hard to say really. All I can do is do everything in my power to make it stop. It's my job. My only job really...protecting my children. I know some of you may see this as a drastic step, but I do not see myself as an overprotective Mom. Honestly, I kind of pride myself as not being overly protective and giving them plenty of freedom to experience life, a long leash if you will, which sometimes exposes them to slight dangers that I think they can handle. But this is different. Chad has done everything by the book here. It is now time for the adults to step in and take over the situation. And, trust me, I will be relentless.
Monday, September 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You are right to try and stop bullying as it can turn to become serious. It's none of my business, but I remember being bullied, having my own son bullied and if the cycle can be stopped, it should be. Good luck.
Post a Comment